Saturday, April 4, 2015

Going forward with Scientific research

Finally decided to restart this blog after a long time.

Scientific research is my main interest, in my case, incorporating a touch of engineering and re-engineering of every day devices.  The only way to really progress with Scientific research is to actually get into it and do it - then carefully and methodically write your findings and get the work published in an international journal with a congruent scope.  Also, contributing to conferences about the subject matter, this provides a wonderful means to network with like minded researchers.

I have worked hard and recently completed my PhD in Physics, at the same time as completing that research and since, I have been able to publish research in several journals, as listed in my ResearchGate profile.

I have tried forums and Stack Exchange (SE) to hopefully further my Scientific journey, neither have been suitable for this purpose.  Both are quite addictive (and fun, if time is available).

However, forums and SE are prone to power-plays, and the usual people who endeavour to make many people's lives miserable, or at least as much as a website can do.  But, I left only due to the amount of time I was spending there (up to 6 hours to research and write an answer).  I was a member on the Earth Science site there - now, my contributions are attributed to "user 889".  No real benefit can come from a site like that in terms of career and research progression - realising this, I pulled the plug on my membership there.  Having said that, the information from the contributors on all SE sites provide an invaluable resource -  but, realistically, the best resource for research is Google Scholar or similar.

(Of course there are many who will assume this, that and the other, but we know what happens to those who assume - and as always, the members there back stab when there is no way of responding -pathetic really).

My laboratory is my living room or in an area with a clear view of the sky. As a self funded Scientist, the equipment used is either borrowed or made - and sometimes this turns into a case of 'one man's trash, is another's treasure' - in my case, Scientific instrument.  Self taught in Android programming, and using everyday materials, led to the completion of the PhD, and the research being published in the Photochemistry Photobiology paper Smartphone-Based Android app for Determining UVA Aerosol Optical Depth and Direct Solar Irradiances and recently, the Radiation Protection Dosimetry paper, Broadband Direct UVA Irradiance Measurement for Clear Skies Evaluated Using a Smartphone.

Finally, if people do know a Scientist, remember, we are people too.


No comments:

Post a Comment